Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What's the Story?

I'm in my second week of classes at Ashland. I love being here...it forces me to focus on my craft: writing. I live without t.v., chores, responsibilities, and distractions for two weeks. I trade that all in for intense workshops and craft talks, moments of solitude, and mentors and peers all striving to become better writers. But it's Wednesday now...and I can't wait until Friday because I miss home. What has been really difficult for me this summer session is finding focus. I am studying nonfiction, trying to find my voice, my story, and my purpose for telling this story. Over these past two weeks I have realized that I really am lacking direction in my writing...but yesterday I think I nailed down why I am struggling.

I am repeatedly being asked, "what is this story really about?" I am being encouraged to use my imagination to allow my essays to go where they need to go. I have to admit that this hasn't been easy, because the only story that I care about right now is that of my unborn babies and the family that Matt and I have started. In my alone time I sit and tell my boys the funny things that their dad told me on the phone, or place my hand on my belly and let their movements tell the stories that they are wanting to share with me. I can't help but think about what life is going to be like in just a few short months when we welcome these two new lives into our home...who will they be? Will they one day want to go away for two weeks and write? Will they be musicians or athletes or scholars or philanthropists? Who will they look like, will they even look like one another? I know one of them is already way squrimier than his brother...he likes to flip and flop...will his brother take after him or will he after his brother?

Mom told me how she was telling her dental assistant about the twins not too long ago when she went to get her teeth cleaned. The woman told her that Amos Frye sounded like a foootball player's name. Maybe. I hope not. I told mom and Christin (sister) that Matt and I didn't want football players. Not that we won't allow football players...we just won't encourage it. Matt says he is determined to have golfers! Christin was very disappointed at the thought of her nephews not playing football...and to that I say that if she trys to make my boys into football players then Cami's (her daughter) Uncle Matt will for sure be buying her a drum set and teaching her to play as loud as possible!! ha!

Kidding aside...I can't help but realize that as much as I try to focus on my story, the truth is my story is about to hit a pretty incredible shift in plot. Who are these babies? I guess I have time to worry about that later. Matt I am sure will mold them into little clowns! Right now I will settle for healthy boys. We have an appointment on August 15 for an ultrasound and I am dying to see the little guys that have been growing and moving inside of me. I can't wait to see thier individual stories, as well as our family's story reveal itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment